Removing Mold From Walls

There is nothing more disheartening besides holes in your backyard, than discovering you have a mold problem inside your home. Not only is mold very easy to spread but it can set off allergies and in some cases make the members of your household sick. If you find mold on your walls you should make a point of removing it as quickly as possible to help prevent future outbreaks.

Keeping Mold Away

If you notice you have to clean out your house because of mold frequently then it is time to take measures to prevent mold from growing back. In addition to cleaning frequently, it is important to keep your home dry so spores do not have the right atmosphere to grow. Purchase a dehumidifier for any room that tends to have a mold problem to ride your home of excess moisture. Also consider adding an air purifier to the space to rid the air of floating spores.

If you find yourself having to clean the same walls over and over again, the mold may be attracted to the paper used in your drywall. Paper-free drywall products that do not allow mold spores to attach are readily available in hardware stores. If your mold problem is serious, consider replacing the drywall in your home to help get rid of the spores once and for all. There are also mold-resistant paints available that can prevent spores from growing on your walls.

Most types of mold that commonly grow in houses are perfectly safe, save the repertory issues the spores cause for allergy sufferers. However, if you notice you have a mold sample that is a strange color, especially if it is very dark, be sure to look into what type of spores you might have growing in your home. If it looks as though you have a toxic strain you will need to have the walls professionally cleaned. If you are unsure about how safe the mold is in your home do not hesitate to have a professional come out and take a look.

Cleaning Up Mold

What you need to do to remove mold from your walls will depend on the location and severity of the issue. If you notice a small patch of mold growing on a tile surface in a kitchen or bathroom all you will need to do is purchase a household cleaner that specializes in killing spores. Apply the cleanser according to the instructions on the package, let it sit for the specified amount of time and wipe the surface clean. You may need to clean the surface several times to ensure that the problem is taken care of.

If you notice mold growing on a painted or drywall surface you will need to take a bit more care. Bleach products are the most effective when it comes to killing off spores but this can damage the paint in the area. Ask a representative from the company you purchased the paint from if they have any recommendations of product that will clean mold without doing damage to the wall. If the mold issue is severe enough you may need to plan on repainting the wall in question after you are finished.

It is important to remember that removing mold from walls takes time. Every time you scrub at a mold spot you send thousands of spores flying throughout the room. You may need to start a cleaning regiment for up to three weeks to make sure you have thoroughly eradicated the problem. The more time you spend cleaning the area the more you can be sure that your problem is solved.

safe secure

Enter your zip code for affordable home owners insurance quotes

GET QUOTES

What People Are Saying

"We found your site and changed policies after paying a huge deductible when a storm layed a tree in our living room. Our new deductible is almost 30% less and our monthly payment also went down. Thanks!"

- Sharon and Lewis K, St Louis MO